Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Jojo Jelly Bean

I was at Mardens' the other day, and I came across a most menacing looking box of candy. Jojo Jelly Bean (no "s" on the box). From the Asian symbols on the front of the box, I could tell this was not a domestic candy, and it was just so bizarre I had to buy an example, so you could have a look at it.

The zombie-like clown feeding bug-eyed children with his tongue is downright creepy!

Now, I'm impartial on the whole "clown controversy." Yes, you know that whole "clowns are creepy and/or evil" belief that a lot of people seem to have these days (thank you, Stephen King). If this picture had an ordinary, friendly clown on it, I wouldn't really think much of it, but come on, that is one weird-looking sucker!

The box only cost me twenty-five cents (plus tax), so it wasn't a huge investment. The candy is made in China, so I'm not sure if I'll eat it. I don't really trust Chinese-made sweets (even though I love Chinese restaurant food). They may have slipped some lead or arsenic into these beans (it's been known to happen). Besides, I'm on a diet.

*For those of you who don't live in Maine, Mardens' is a chain of stores which sells surplus and salvage. Our current Governor used to run them, and it's a really great place to buy just about anything. Clothes, food, tools, hardware, furniture, flooring; you name it, they've got it, and generally much cheaper than anywhere else. Mind you, since they buy wholesale lots of stuff, they don't always have the same goods, and inventory shifts frequently. That's why their slogan is "I should have bought it when I saw it at Mardens."

4 comments:

  1. I was mosty impressed with your blog both writing and design. Good luck with the challenge.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your three cents worth on that box of JoJo Jelly Bean. I did find one "S" it is in the word "coloring." Weird box isn't it? I think I would have some bepto bismal, sodium bicarbonate, my best friend, the numbers to 911, the hospital, and Superman on call but I might try one, especially if there are any "black" ones! Thanks for letting add my 2 cents, wow, between we have a whole nickel!
    Gregg Metcalf
    Colossians 1:28-29

    Gospel-driven Disciples

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love candy from other countries - and I don't mean the eating it. The packaging is just wild! I agree, that clown is creepy as all get out. Why would kids want to eat jelly beans that were already in this clown's mouth? This is wrong on so many levels. The kids look hypnotized or already juiced up on too much sugar.

    Thanks for sharing! Post more when you come across them.

    www.TheRegalRenegade.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do the jelly beans make the people that eat it pose menacingly and dramatically?

    If so, I would **rerorero** it so hard.

    ReplyDelete