Friday, April 22, 2011

Shameless!

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but the shameless egomaniacs will buy it back at auction after the meek declare bankruptcy."

It seems like the natural way of things. Those who get ahead, more often than not, are arrogant and shameless in their self-promotion. It's a nice thing to think that the shy and quiet among us are more appealing, but somehow it doesn't ring true. If you don't get noticed, you don't go anywhere, and those who truly excel are really quite forward, though the best are crafty enough to disguise their personal ambition.

I am not one of those sneaky folks who'll pretend that I'm really this selfless humanitarian, while seeking to sell you salvation for $19.95+tax. I'll sell it to you straight, and hope you respect me for it.

Anyway, there are a lot of new faces following this blog, so I thought I'd take a post to introduce you to some of my available work. Although I'm sure you'll find this data entertaining and informative, it is really a blatant attempt at self-promotion, but how else is an emergent writer ever going to climb out of the primordial slime of the slush pile? I'm not nearly as shameless as a lot of people, so please bear with me.

The Guns of Mars: This is my latest release, published by Pill Hill Press in 2010. It's hard science fiction, with a bit of socio-political conjecture mixed into the plot. Following the libertine spirit of Heinlein, I crafted this work to be both an exciting tale of the fantastic, and a deeper think-piece for those who enjoy brainy stories.

The Rogue Investigations: Some of my bigger fans have called this my "best" work. To be honest, I'm not sure if that's the case, but it's certainly some of the most entertaining stuff I've produced. This is currently my most affordable work, so why not give it a try?

Rogue Investigations is something I self-published in late 2009, and I went that route with this one because I had a particular vision for it, and decided to get it out there as is. I don't want to sound arrogant, but I will say the text isn't riddled with the sort of typos and plot holes that you sometimes find in self-published (aka Indie) stuff. As Howie Carr likes to say, "You can trust me, I'm not like the others."

Virtual Wiles: This was the first book I had published. I wrote it in 2001, but didn't get it released until 2007, though the story isn't the sort that'll become obsolete anytime soon. It's a Science-Fiction story, but there are quite a few elements of Fantasy included, as much of the story takes place within a virtual computer simulation based on sword and sorcery. There is a lot of good stuff in here, and it introduces you to Morgan Asher, who reappears in both Prisoner of Time and The Guns of Mars.

Prisoner of Time: The sequel to Virtual Wiles, which takes us back to the virtual world of Fantasan. This book has a lot more traditional fantasy elements in it, and it has more action/adventure than the first volume in the series. With xenophobic elves, bloodthirsty monks, and a powerful sorceress out for revenge, you can't go wrong with this one! The events in this also set the stage for The Guns of Mars.

I hope some of you will take the time to check out these books. You can buy them from Amazon.com, and various other booksellers. Or, you could always buy signed copies directly from me (which are generally cheaper than retail).

5 comments:

  1. You have my total respect. I am in awe by people who write books. Congratulations.
    Manzanita
    Wanna buy a duck

    ReplyDelete
  2. You self-promote as much as you like! When I finally finish my book and get it to a standard that it is accepted (note the confident attitude. LOL.) I intend to do the same thing. And I totally understand your comments about having your own vision for your work.

    Now excuse me, I'm off to Pill Hill Press to buy your book.

    Ellie Garratt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I'm stopping by on the A-Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shameless is certainly the way to go here; leave the shame for those of us who have yet to finish a novel (like me). Thanks for sharing your story, and best of luck escaping the primordial slime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's fantastic, Ellie. Thank you for taking an interest. I'm sure you'll find the read entertaining.

    I'm not nearly as shameless as a lot of people, which might be why I haven't struck it big yet. It is a tricky business to sell yourself without sounding arrogant or conceited.

    ReplyDelete