Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Victory!

I'm very much a student of history. My father's side of the family is very academic, so it's really in my blood. I have always been fascinated with the past, and found some of the best stories lying in the truth of yesteryear.


With my new genealogical research, I can find relatives who fought on one side or another of every major American war, from the Revolution straight up through World War II. This merely adds an added bonus flavor when I reflect upon the wonders of historical events.

This year, we will be celebrating 66 years of freedom from fascist Nazi and Imperial Japanese oppression. My own grandfather was with the 8th Army Air Force, which helped to flatten Europe during the war, and assure the defeat of Hitler. I didn't know him all that well, though from what I've been told he rarely talked about his service. A lot of veterans are that way. War isn't so glorious for those who are thrust into the conflict as it is to look back at it as history.

During the war, there was a lot of promotional propaganda put out by the War Department and various governmental agencies, to help bolster morale during those dark times. Here are just a few scanned prints I was given by a friend some time ago.





1 comment: