Sunday, September 18, 2011

Name That Nelson

Here’s a family photo-postcard that’s right around 100 years old.  It comes from the Nelson branch of my mother’s side of the family, and it is either of Ned Nelson Sr., or Ira Nelson, Jr.  I suspect it is Ned because of comparative facial features in another photo I have of him (when he was 8), but brothers tend to look alike and there is no positive identification on this particular picture.


On the back of the picture, the following message is inscribed to his mother, Ada Belle Nelson:

Mary said “don’t send it that way.  That isn’t in an envelope, you don’t want your physiognomy going through the mail!” so I decided not to address it.

He did start to address it, as “Mrs. Ira R. Nelson, 1150” is written in the address slot, but struck out with 2 pen lines.  He obviously stuck it in an envelope and explained why when sending it back to his mother.  I suspect the "Mary" he quotes is his sister, Mary Alice Nelson (my great-grandmother).

I’d like to get confirmation on this one, so if anyone has a known photograph of Ned Nelson Sr. taken sometime between 1910 and 1920, I would love to see it.  Or a picture of Ira R. Nelson, Jr. from about the same time period could clear things up, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment