Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Contributor Limits on Amazon Kindle

I ran into another mild annoyance last week.  As I was setting up the Kindle Version of The Temporal Element, I discovered that Amazon limits the number of listed contributors to 10.  Since the Temporal Element has 20 different authors, this means only half of the writers got their names on the listing.  In doing so, I made sure those who specifically asked me about adding this title to their Amazon Author Page got their name listed, though there are probably others who didn't ask me who will want to do it, as well.

I've run into this problem, myself, having a story in an anthology and not getting into the initial listing.  Fortunately, all I had to do was contact Amazon about it and get my name attached to the title.  To help any of the other authors in The Temporal Element, I made sure that each contributor name is listed in the "book description" further down the page.  This way, if they want to add the book to their Amazon Author Page, they can point right to that when requesting the addition.  The Print Version had no such limitation, so everyone is listed there.

I understand that Amazon doesn’t want to have a huge number of names clogging up their Kindle titles, but it is kind of short-sighted.  These multi-author anthologies should not be limited to only 10.  So what if 20 or 30 people are listed as a contributing author?  That's the way it is.  Please, Amazon, revise your Kindle submission form, so we can give everyone the credit they deserve!

2 comments:

  1. I contacted Amazon and they said they'll list me. No problems. Happens a lot. I didn't realise it was limited to 10, so that explains it.

    ReplyDelete