Thursday, July 31, 2014

Crashed!

I've had a pretty hard week all around. First, the family dog died, and now my trusty Dell Vostro 400 has gone to its final rest. It died on me this afternoon, and it's not coming back. The cost to fix it would be unjustifiable, considering that it is 7 years old and very obsolete. Still, it couldn't have picked a worse time to die, as the middle of the busy summer work season is not the time to be fiddling with computer hardware.

I guess I'll be computer shopping this weekend. Just when I thought I was getting somewhere, something happens to suck the money out of my hands. I know, it's not a "huge" expense to get a basic desktop (or laptop is that's what you're after, though I still prefer the old tower). Still, it is annoying.

Good news, I have all of my writing and Martinus Publishing files backed up to an sd card, along with most of my other programs. So, I shouldn't be out much. I may have to download some free stuff again, and I may have to relocate some of my saved websites, but overall it won't be a big loss. It just may take some time for me to get used to the new configuration, and it may be a few weeks before I have everything working the way I need it to work. In the interim, I have my wife's laptop with the busted keypad. I've plugged my Dell keyboard and mouse into it, so I can use it comfortably, more or less. Still, there's a lot I can't do until I have my own system again.

I guess I'll have to finally upgrade from Windows XP, too. Damn!

No comments:

Post a Comment